Saturday, May 7, 2011

Syracuse Suds Factory (Syracuse, NY)


Location: 320 Clinton St., Syracuse, NY 13202

*Warning: I've been informed by Jason that Syracuse Suds has a new brewer, so this is my candid opinion of the place before I've checked it out with the new brewer.  Honestly though, if my past experiences weren't as bad as they were, I'd give them another shot...*


Oh, Syracuse Suds... where to begin...

Syracuse Suds prides themselves to bringing the brewing scene back to Syracuse.  See, back in the day, Syracuse (and CNY in general) used to be a hub for brewing.  After the prohibition and the expansion of macrobreweries (like Anheuser-Busch) old Syracuse breweries went out of business until around 1991 when Syracuse Suds Factory opened up.  Which all seems good and fun... until you actually visit this place and taste their beer.

Anytime I've gone to Syracuse Suds and ordered one of their beers I've regretted it.  Why do all of their beers taste like raisins?  That's right, I said it: raisins.  I mean, I've tasted some pretty interesting and bizarre beers before but I'm not sure if the raisin thing is ever gonna catch on.  Can I try your stout??  Raisins... Let me get your pale ale... Raisins...

On top of that, the whole place is overly cliche.  Dear Syracuse Suds, you could have been a pretty fucking cool place.  Instead, your whole scheme is based off the overused "orange and blue," Syracuse University, sports theme.  I get that some people are really into sports bars, but it's not done here in any clever or interesting way here.  It's no different to the million other restaurants, bars and shops I've been to around SU and in Syracuse in general.  Get over it, Syracuse Univ ain't that cool.  Trust me, I went to six years of school there.  I feel like that theme is appropriate for places like DJ's, which is actually located on the SU hill, but really Suds, you're in Armory Square, and you're supposed to be the pride of a new beer generation in Syracuse.

Omg and do not go there on the weekends.  Horrible!  The last time I was there I got my beer spilt all over me on numerous occasions because it was overcrowded with girls who can't handle their shit and scum bag guys on the prowl.  I couldn't hear myself think because there were way too many screaming biddies and horribly loud pop music.  I think I lasted 15 minutes.  Did I mention that the beer I had tasted like raisins?

This may sound harsh, but it comes from a good place because I really feel as though Syracuse Suds has potential.  For the love, they were the first microbrewery to open back up in Syracuse!  I just feel like they completely sold out and succumbed to the low standard of shitty Syracuse bars.

Suggestions: Idk, become cool.  And stop adding raisins to your beer.

Written by: Krysten

No comments:

Post a Comment