Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Blue Tusk (Syracuse, NY)


Location: 165 Walton Street, Syracuse, NY 13202 (Armory Square)

The Blue Tusk is located right in the heart of drinking in Syracuse.  Armory Square is the hoppin place to go on the weekends in Syracuse with a mix between good beer bars like The Blue Tusk and Empire Brewing and your underage, loud and obnoxious bars such as Corner Bar and Vinyl.  I have mixed feeligs about The Blue Tusk and here's why:

First off, they have a huge selection of microbrews, I think over 70, which is pretty impressive.  Compared to JRyans, they have a comparable amount of good beers but both bars have a differing selection, which is nice.  I definitely like being able to get beers here that I can't get at other bars.  Their bartenders are also extremely nice and helpful and are willing to give samples of their beers, which is great for a beer enthusiast because, sometimes you like to know what you're getting into before you make the purchase.

Which brings me to the point of the purchase...  Why are beers at The Blue Tusk so expensive??  Unless a beer has a high ABV, I really don't want to spend 6-8 dollars on a pint.  I guess that's why being able to sample the beers at The Blue Tusk is ever so important because you're investing quite a bit of money in your purchase.  Seeing as how I kind of focus my life on drinking beer, I have become familiar with how much pints cost at different bars, especially in Syracuse, and Blue Tusk is definitely the priciest.  I'm not sure why and the only conclusion that I have come up with is that they're in a prime location where people are, I guess, willing to pay that much.  I still think it's a tad ridiculous though.

I do, however, really enjoy they're outside patio, which makes Blue Tusk a great spot on a nice day in the summer.  I've spent many a days drinking on this patio in the summer... and then kicking myself the next day when I check my bank account.  They're food is also pretty good and they definitely take their food above typical pub standards.  Although, again, a tad pricey for sandwiches and soups and such, their food is pretty freakin' good (such as the Roast Beef and Stilton Sandwich, which comes on strech bread, delicious).  I always enjoy a restaurant that gives you something that you can't find somewhere else.

While during the week and during the day, The Blue Tusk is a pretty down-to-earth, chill spot to enjoy some pints and quality food, on the weekends it can become overly crowded and even get infiltrated by the typical Armory Square flouse brigade.  Not that it's the bar's fault, it's just the name of the game in that location.  But if you're looking to avoid super annoying folk and don't want to witness some assholes fighting in the street outside, I say don't go on a Friday or Saturday night.  They do have $1 off pints during happy hour, so that might be your best bet.

The Blue Tusk is also known for hosting some beer events, especially during Beer Week, so definitely be on the look out for that.

My suggestions for the bar are this...  drop your prices a little.  I doubt they will do so because to me it seems as though people in that area have become accoustomed to paying that much, but hey, it's worth a shot.  And maybe make a happy hour food menu?  I feel as though I'd go there way more often if there were better deals.  But when there are other bars in Syracuse offering pretty much the same thing, I'd rather pinch pennies and go somewhere else.

Written by: Krysten

No comments:

Post a Comment