Thursday, September 1, 2011

Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Twisted Pine Brewing Co.
Location: Boulder, CO
Overall: ***** (5/5)

The wall of gloriousness!

Courtesy of Metromix Denver

Welcome to Boulder!  Land of the rich and intelligent hippies who all seem to ride around Pearl Street on their Triton:
Courtesy of Triton Buzz

Off the beaten path (down on Walnut Street) lays a little gem called Twisted Pine Brewing Company.  Before coming to Colorado I had never heard of Twisted Pine before but when my friends told us about them, I was anxious to give them a try.  In this laid back, yet somewhat small, brewpub holds some of the most creative and crazy beers I have ever tried.  And since, yes, I have been to Dogfish Head in Delaware, so this means a lot.

What I love the most about Twisted Pine is that they are taking some serious risks.  They were creating their version of a Chili Beer (Billies Chillies) years before it really caught on.  I had the opportunity to talk to one of their owners or brewers (I assume from his presence/knowledge) and he told me that they were brewing  Billies Chillies for a really long time and only recently did it start catching fire.  Kudos to them for being creative from the beginning!  Andddd, the only reason I had the opportunity to talk to this gentleman was because he approached me as I sat at the bar to ask my opinion about their beer:

1.  This never really happens because I’m a girl… no seriously.
2.  He asked me what I liked and if I thought they should stop brewing any of their beers… bold question my friend, I like how you are really concerned about what your customer thinks.
3.  After I gave him the sense that I did know a thing or two about beer he stayed and chatted with me for a little bit about their beers, giving me some hints on their brewing process.  Honestly, I really appreciated it.  Really makes your customer feel connected to your brewery!


Twisted Pine taps

Twisted Pine gets an almost never seen 5 out of 5 stars because (a) their beer is fabulous!  Even the ones that are their more standard beers are done artfully.  (b)  Their staff is fantastic, knowledgeable and are genuinely curious about what their customers have to say about their brews.  (c)  They are creative but not to the point of ridiculousness.  Their experimental beers are imaginative and original but also delicious.  I love a brewery that’s willing to take some risks.  (d)  The overall feel of the brewpub was super laid back with really friendly, down-to-earth people which gives it a relaxed and fun atmosphere.  They even had a guy come in and play piano covers of songs… I love it.  On a side note though, I know, Twisted Pine, that I’m giving you 5 stars, but you didn’t have to go and name one of your beers after me!  You’re too kind! (wink...)
Reilly's Oak Whisky Red


Okay, let’s go over some of the beers I had that knocked my socks off:

Billies Chillies:  This is one of their more popular beers and I can understand why.  Easy to drink but has that Chili Beer kick.  The gentleman I spoke to told me that the hint is just using the fruit and not the seeds in the brewing process.  Clever!

Experimental Brews:  Twisted Pine does something quite clever at their brewpub.  They come up with what I like to call “experimental brews” that they showcase at their brewpub.  Taking their regular beers, they mix together with their other beers, flavors and additives to create something completely crazy but most of the time absolutely delicious.  I’m digging this idea because the way that I see it is this is an opportunity for them to try out an idea on a super small level, get a reaction, and see if it’s worth brewing on a larger scale.  I can’t remember the names of the ones that I had but I’m pretty sure some of them included a Raspberry Espresso Stout, a Billies Chillies Stout and a Blueberry Blonde.

Big Shot Espresso Stout:  Super creamy with bold coffee and dark chocolate flavors.  Super rich but not so much that it’s hard to drink.  The really nice mouth feel and aroma of the beer top off the rich and delicate flavors.
Jackie enjoying a "make your own" sampler.


 
And, if you have to know, we did enjoy their nachos.  They were fantastic, but then again, nachos are always fantastic and the best appetizer option aside from a cheese plate a brewpub can offer (I’m trying to save my money for the drinking!).  Jason also found a sweet portrait of himself on the wall:

Jason... obvs

No comments:

Post a Comment