Sunday, August 7, 2011

Great Divide Brewing Co.

Great Divide Brewing Co.
Location: Denver, CO
Overall: **** (4/5)




This is one of the more impressive taprooms I’ve ever experienced.  The taproom of a brewery can be a powerful tool in gaining new customers, selling product and exposing their talents.  Great Divide has taken all of that into consideration and designed a very hip taproom that feels more like a standard bar than you would expect.  And you can tell that whatever they’re doing is working, since the first time I went there was a crowd accumulating outside before they opened which led to a bustling taproom.  The second time we visited it was slower at first (well, it was 2pm on a Monday) but it began to considerably fill up as time went on.

It was, however, a pain in the ass to find the first time, thank you Denver and your terrible street planning, well done.

Here’s how the taproom works:  You can invest in a pint, or you can do their 3 for $3 deal (it’s ballering).  For three bucks you get to sample three different beers of your choice from their taps.  The samples come in small snifter-like glasses.  After that, you can add on additional samples for $1 each.  I love it because I can design my own sampler which allows me to try new beers that I haven’t had before or indulge again in ones that I know I love.

Like a normally brewery, they do have tours that you can go on.  We didn’t do the tour… we were too busy drinking (I hear it’s great and you can take your beer with you).  The taproom also has a small selection of snacks that you can, snack, on which is pretty sweet and adds to the bar like atmosphere.  Andddd, they have a happy hour from 4-6, awesome!!


I have a few notes from some of my samples that really stood out:

Colette (Farmhouse):  Love it.  Little fruity, little tart, definitely refreshing and sessiony.

17th Anniversary (Wood-Aged DIPA): Didn’t have a good hop character for me, but it’s 10%.

Chocolate Oak-Aged Yeti (Imperial Stout): Delicious.  Thick, chocolately with subtle hops.

Smoked Baltic Porter: Yummmm… tastes a little like bacon (from the smoked barley) but it’s not too overpowering.

Grand Cru (Belgian-Style Dark Ale): Alright, a tad too sweet for me.

Old Ruffian (Barley Wine):  I normally am not a fan of barley wines but this one was pretty good.  I know Jason loved it, I think it’s a little strong tasting for me.



Most of Great Divide's beers have a high ABV, so be warned.

If you get a chance, Great Divide does a Beer & Cheese Tasting every once and awhile.  The next one will be on August 18th and I’m hoping to go, since I love beer… and cheese.


No comments:

Post a Comment