Wednesday, September 21, 2011

J Ryan's New Editions

J Ryan's New Editions
(9/21/11)

Had a few new beers at J Ryan's (Syracuse, NY) tonight, thought you should know about it:

Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale: Intense spice level, rich in taste, a little too sweet for me.  Has a nice, creamy taste to it but the spice was a little much, especially at the end.  Could be a little bit more balanced but for a pumpkin ale at least it does have enough pumpkin and spice taste.

Horseheads Pumpkin Ale:  I hope you're starting to see a trend here... we really like our fall pumpkin beers...  Anyways, Horseheads Pumpkin is pretty good and, as Alicia at J Ryans told us, it's like eating a pumpkin pie with cream cheese frosting on it (absolute perfect description!).  Very sweet, somewhat spicy and finishes with... cream cheese?  Pretty good, I approve, but I don't know how many I can drink due to the sweetness of it.
Middle Ages X (10th Anniversary) Cask:  Usually, I steer away from cask conditioned IPAs (even though brewpubs and beer bars love to put IPAs on cask) because I feel as though a cask conditioned IPA looses it's hoppiness and flavor cask style and should be somewhat cold.  However, Middle Ages X definitely blew me away tonight.  The cask condition really exploited the hops and the flavors were extremely pronounced.  It's delicious and a definite if you get down to J Ryans while it's on cask.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked that Horseheads Pumpkin myself, but have not seen it for sale anywhere around Syracuse (in stores), maybe I am just missing it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... the only place I've purchased it has been from J Ryan's. A couple of places I would check would be Galeville in Liverpool (412 Old Liverpool Rd), J Ryan's (they have a cooler filled with 22s) and Party Source on Erie in Dewitt. I was at the newly remolded Galeville recently and they're beer selection is still astounding and they had beers there that I've never seen anywhere else, so my bet, if it were anywhere, would be there. It might be tough though since Fall is winding down and the stock of pumpkin beers is dwindling (saddest part of the year).

    ReplyDelete